Monday, December 5, 2011

Ethiopia Part I

Unlike my two previous trips to Ethiopia, on this journey I had no expectations. No preconceived notions on how I would react, what would happen, or how I'd feel when I returned home. Mainly because this time I didn't have the convenience of baby-blinders. I couldn't bury my head in the demands and responsibilities of sudden parenthood. I could look around and finally get to know the country that gave me the two most precious gifts I will ever receive.

It may sound odd, but I was much more emotional on this trip. When things get heavy, I tend to clam up. No tears for this girl on her wedding day or even meeting L and E...who has time to cry when there is some overwhelming shit to do! But this time I sniffled with barely suppressed tears as we landed in Addis and especially during the drive to our guest house. It looked and smelled just as I'd remembered. It's still amazing to me that there is a place in Africa that is now familiar to me. Yet I felt this bizarre combination of familiarity coupled with seeing things for the first time. Without a baby to monopolize my attention, I could really see the traffic, the overwhelming amount of people (and children) everywhere, the goats in the road, the people sleeping on the sidewalks, the packs of dogs roaming about, and the streets FILLED with people sporting every different type of Ethiopian dress you can imagine: modern clothing, Orthodox Christian robes, and Muslim scarves.

On our first full day we drove south to Busa to see the water project to which EOR had contributed.


Everything impressed me. Community involvement was mandatory thus making this a highly sustainable project. A committee of community members was established not only to maintain the infrastructure (reservoirs and pipelines and such) but also to educate the surrounding communities on matters of hygiene, sanitation and the benefits of clean water.
 

This is the reservoir that has brought clean water to over 4,000 people, and is projected to reach over 9,000 by the project's end. Amazing.


Clean water. I will NEVER take it for granted again. Ever. Think of how having clean water to drink/bathe in/wash and cook with will make an impact on adorable girls like this one?


Below is the well the community was using before the reservoir and pipeline was built.


When we arrived at the reservoir I was overwhelmed to see the committee of community members there to greet us. These are the men and women that dug the ditches to put down the pipes, built the reservoir, and received the training that will keep the clean water flowing for years to come. They expressed their thanks to EOR for helping to fund the project but also were simply proud to show what they had done for their own community. There was a true sense of ownership and I thought again how wonderful it is to be a part of something that is more than just a band aid or handout...a program that will make lives better and continue to do so even after the project has officially ended.


My heart is happy knowing that this serious little guy will have clean water to drink because of the wonderful work of EOR and its donors. How wonderful also knowing that he can see how the men and women in his community did the work and made it happen.


2 comments: