Tuesday, November 22, 2011

One post, lots of thankful

Back from Ethiopia! The trip was everything I expected and so much more. "Life-changing" seems a tad cliche and inadequate, but it's all my jet-lagged brain can come up with at the moment. My first two trips to Ethiopia had such a specific purpose: to meet and take home a baby. I did see a lot of of the country  during those two visits, but I was so focused on being a mother to a tiny little stranger there was much I didn't see, didn't feel, didn't dwell on...too preoccupied was I with loving on my precious babies.

This trip gave me the opportunity to really get to know the country that gave me my children. Longer posts detailing the trip will come shortly, but today I wanted to write a post of thanks. I come away from this trip with an even keener awareness of all the blessings I have in my life and the fact that there are many who struggle for that which many of us easily take for granted. Here goes...

1. I am thankful for the health of my family.
2. I am thankful that if illness should occur, we have access to incredible health care and medicine.
3. I am thankful for clean water.
4. I am thankful for easy access to water. My children and I do not have to walk for miles at a time to fetch dirty water for drinking, cleaning, washing & bathing.
5. I am thankful to be able to clothe my children and wash their clothes in clean water.
6. I am thankful for the education I received and the education my children will be able to receive. And that we do not have to choose between eating and education.
7. I am thankful we are able to provide clean and healthy food  for our family.
8. I am thankful my children will never have to know true hunger or what it is like to have to sell your body or all of your possessions to avoid starvation.
9. I am thankful for our house with its clean water, indoor plumbing, kitchen full of food, closets full of clothes and car in the garage.
10. I am thankful for my time in Ethiopia, for seeing what I have seen and  knowing what I now know I am forever thankful and determined to give of my heart, time and resources to help the orphans, vulnerable children and families in Ethiopia.


Happy Thanksgiving!

Oh, and if you want more information on the work I did with Ethiopian Orphan Relief in Ethiopia and to donate or find ways you can help with specific partners and projects, go here and get inspired!

1 comment:

  1. So happy for your trip. Maybe next time I will be with ya. :)

    ReplyDelete