Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Once, twice, three times a lady...

Happy Birthday to my beautiful baby girl. I cannot believe that you are turning 3 today! Such a cliche, but time has positively flown since you entered my life.






All of the fantasies I had about motherhood were so wrong. Life as your mom is infinitely richer, better, sweeter, and way more fun that I could have possible imagined. 

On this day three years ago, a woman in Bale Robe made the bravest of decisions. She made a sacrifice that many of us simply cannot imagine making. Because of her bravery and selflessness, I have today and countless tomorrows with you, my precious daughter. Your birthday celebration would not be complete without honoring the person who gave you life.

Once there were two women who never knew each other
One you do not remember, the other you call Mother

Two different lives shaped to make you one
One became your guiding star, the other became your sun

The first one gave you life, the second taught you to live it
The first gave you a need for love, the second was there to give it

One gave you a nationality, the other gave you a name
One gave you a talent, the other gave you aim

One gave you emotions, the other calmed your fears
One saw your first sweet smile, the other dried your tears

One made an adoption plan, it was all that she could do
The other prayed for a child, and God led her straight to you

Now, which of these two women are you the product of?
Both, my darling, both, Just two different types of love.

-Unknown


Is this the dream that I had before I became a Mom?
That was like a black and white movie - shadowy, dreamlike, without details.
The life we live is a rainbow of details,
and a richer, more vibrant reality than anything I ever dreamed.

- Beth M. Waggenspack 


Happy Birthday, Lila!

Love, Mommy.




5 comments:

  1. Okay, this blog post needed a warning at the beginning. DO NOT READ AT WORK!! Majorly holding back the tears here. Lila is truly a gift. Sending out a big ROAR in her honor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna have to stop talking to you if you insist on making me cry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah, that poem was intense!!! I am going to use that sometime. I wish I knew who wrote it. I hate not giving great authors and poets credit.

    Whew, I am totally teary-eyed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm crying too.
    I'm excited for the bday party later today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh! This made me cry too! I love your blog. I'm a former co-worker of Kevin's from Pactiv and he made a link to it once on facebook. I come back often to check in because I plan to try to adopt in a couple years, regardless of whether or not we can conceive. Your pictures and stories & links to other blogs are really helping me to build up the courage.

    Happy Belated Birthday to your little boo!

    ReplyDelete