Thursday, March 11, 2010

I heard it through the grapevine...

Well, the adoption internets are a-buzzing, I tell you. Confirmed by some agencies and not by others, rumor has it that Ethiopia will be quickly switching to a two-visit country. Meaning, one or both parents have to fly over to be present for the court date, and then fly back for the embassy date (at which point you bring your child home). I say "rumor has it" because my agency has not confirmed or denied at this point. I was told yesterday that our agency's lawyer in Ethiopia called and said, "Nothing is in writing yet." Whatever that means.

I'm trying to stay calm and just roll with this new tidbit of information. Let's just say I'm adding it to the every-expanding list of THINGS OVER WHICH I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL. Lordy that list just grows and grows.

But I can't help bemoan the fact that if we are affected by this change we will have just missed the opportunity to make only one visit. Meaning, had we gotten our referral just a few weeks earlier, then we would have gotten a court date a few weeks earlier...no two visits. But, it is what it is. I can certainly say that the timing is horrific...we are in the process of buying a house for goodness sake. There just isn't $2000-4000 laying around for extra plane tickets to Ethiopia. It will happen, though. Of this I'm sure. No matter what, it will happen, credit card debt be dammed.

We'll end with something cute. Today Lila was reciting her own version of the "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" book. And it went something like this:

"Trachodon, trachodon, what do you see? I see a triceratops looking at me."

"Triceratops, triceratops, what do you see? I see Sid the Science Kid looking at me."

"Sid, Sid, what do you see? I see Tsingtaosaurus looking at me."

And so forth. Made me smile, and that cannot be overrated these days.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right. . . Just one more thing we have no control over. I also haven't gotten confirmation from our agency. Trying hard not to stress as my stress will not change the outcome. Trying is the operative word. ;-)

    ReplyDelete